Hazlehurst and Huckel Architects
In 1881 Philadelphia was in the midst of an expansion. City Hall had been under construction for ten years and was about to go almost $14 million over budget. Corruption between contractors and politicians saw more and more of the city’s budget being used for construction and municipal expansion.
With so many new projects in the city, architects Edward P. Hazlehurst and Samuel Huckel, Jr. decided to go into business with one another. Hazelhurst previously worked with Frank Furness, architect of the Philadelphia Academy of Fine Arts and many of Philadelphia’s Regional Rail stations (what was then the Philadelphia and Reading Railroad). Huckel came from a mail-order church design company owned by Benjamin D. Price.
The two decided that they would take their expertise and run the gamut of architectural design. They took on residential designs as well as church and office buildings. From small club houses to massive suburban mansions. Full-block factories and gorgeous multi-family apartment buildings.
The two went their separate ways in 1904.
While there are over 300 projects listed to their names at Philadelphia’s Architects and Buildings Project, few remain standing today. Many of those still in place are residences. Their Battery Park Hotel in Asheville, North Carolina is listed in the U.S. National Register of Historic Places and is now used for senior housing.
Hazlehurst and Huckel, perhaps intuiting the fickle nature of architecture in the late 1800’s, compiled a two-volume book Architecture through a Camera in 1894 and 1896. Some of their projects now only exist in the volumes from this series.
Check out the slideshow below for some of the original pictures taken in the late 1800’s followed by pictures taken in 2019!